Since January 2016, EPFL authors publishing a paper, a book, a book chapter or a proceedings in Gold Open Access may benefit from a financial support. This funding from the EPFL Library can be achieved by means of either a partial reimbursement of the Gold OA publication fees or special conditions negotiated with some publishers or journals.
Open Access fund
Reimbursement of 2/3 of the APC (or BPC, or conference registration fees), with a maximum of CHF 2,500 per publication.
- On a first come, first served basis (based on the acceptance date of the publication) until the fund has been used up;
- Pure Gold OA publications immediately available online without restrictions at the time of publication or conference;
- Formal proceedings in a reputable peer-reviewed research venue;
- Publications or journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) or members of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) or the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE);
- No co-financing for hybrid publications;
- Reimbursements limited to 2 publications per lab annually;
- Funds specifically dedicated for Gold OA fees (grants, contracts, etc.) must be used first;
- APCs of publications published in December can be reimbursed until the end of January of the next year;
Specific agreements with publishers
Full APC funding
Publication fees in Cogitatio journals fully covered by the Library
Free publication under Gold OA in all ECS journals.
APCs of EPFL authors (the corresponding author must be affiliated to EPFL) in PLoS journals are fully and directly covered by the Library.
Discounts on APCs
25% discount on APCs in ACS journals. ACS members benefit from an additional discount of $1,500.
BMC / Springer Open
10% discount on APCs in the journal F1000Research. Few vouchers to freely publish on gold OA are available on request at the Library.
Discount of 15% on all Frontiers journals.
Mary Ann Liebert
Discount of $1,000 on APCs in Mary Ann Liebert journals.
10% discount on APCs in MDPI journals.
Nucleic Acids Research
APCs in the journal Nucleic Acids Research (Oxford University Press) are reduced by 50% (€1065 instead of €2130) for all EPFL authors.
25% discount on APCs in the Gold OA journalProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA.
Royal Society Chemistry
Discount of 15% on APCs on EPFL hybrid publications at RSC journals.
Science Advances (AAAS)
10% discount on APCs in the Gold OA journalScience Advances. An additional 4% discount for AAAS members applies.
EPFL authors benefit of a 15% discount on publication fees in Open Access (Gold and Hybrid) in all Wiley journals.